Lily Toxicity in Cats
- Created on Friday, 18 April 2014 13:47
With Spring and Easter fast approaching it is important to know that the toxins in various lily plants can be deadly to cats. If you suspect your cat has ingested a lily plant seek veterinary treatment immediately. All parts of the plant--including the pollen--are toxic. Ingestion of even a small amount of the plant can lead to major organ failure and death.
There is no antidote for lily toxicity and the sooner the cat begins aggressive medical treatment, the better the prognosis. If not treated quickly and aggressively mortality rates are high. Clinical signs usually develop within hours after ingestion and can include drooling, vomiting, lethargy, and even seizures. Renal (kidney) failure occurs within 36-72 hours. Signs of renal failure include increased thirst and changes in urination (increased urination tapering to no urine output).
For your cat's safety, we recommend making your home a lily-free zone.
Lily toxicity is an emergency. If you suspect your cat has ingested a lily plant seek veterinary treatment immediately.